Animation may not really be something I’m good at. But I’ll be working on it, because it’s pretty fun!
What is Guerilla Art?
Guerilla art is the surreptitious, and often sudden, creation or installation of unauthorized public art, often with the purpose of making an overt political statement. The term is often used interchangably with “street art.”
Guerilla art consists of reclaiming space and changing its dynamics with images or counter images, art that has been created anonymously and left on walls or in places such as public squares. Guerrilla art is not only spray paint and text and images. It can also encompass theater and film projections projected on walls of buildings.
One of the most popular forms of guerilla art is the alteration of billboards, often with the intent of creating an absurd or ironic message from the original advertising content. Such installations are often meant to be somewhat subtle.
For our Concepts of Persuasion module, we have been asked to come up with a guerilla art to be set within the school area which addresses a social issue. I chose abortion as I feel the need to acknowledge the topic as it is a very serious matter that teenagers should know about nowadays, considering the rise in the number of young women aborting their pregnancy.
Here is what I did!
Right in the jar on the extreme right of the image, contains a foetus. Here’s a close-up.
Not a very pleasant sight, but that is the main point. To be using the emotive of disgust to bring across the message.
The yellow sign reads,
“The fine line between trash and this is that, it actually has a heart. Unfortunately, it stopped beating.”
I used such a statement as it evokes the feeling of guilt within humans. The composition is in such a way as I wanted to portray how people abort a child just like how they treat rubbish. The point is, a foetus, a child is not rubbish and we cannot afford to treat them in such a way. They deserve a chance to live!
You can see, I love babies. Hahaha. But yes, that was how my guerilla art was. I had fun setting up the art and I really hope one day I’ll be able to create guerilla art in public as I feel that it is a very effective form of art, not to mention, absolutely creative!
The past few weeks, we have been working on an editorial design task, which I absolutely enjoy. The designs have been finalised earlier today. I shall bring you through the individual processes I went through in creating my work.
Firstly, after going through the task deliverables, my faciliatator talked to us about the overview of a design process. Specifically for this one, I have drawn somewhat an organizational chart.
It is important to note down the different processes in order to be have an organized work. Also, for this task, we have been asked to explore ‘warm & cool’. In terms of design, ‘warm & cool’ can refer to colours, typefaces, shapes. But it also can refer to emotive languages. In most designs, ‘warm & cool’ has been reinforced in order to create a balance between the two extremes. Here’s what I think of when ‘warm & cool’ comes to mind.
I feel that this is a really important point to be taken note of during the design process, where the different elements are being chosen.
With that, I did my research and picked out a few inspiration and also sketched out my ideas.
In every magazine, a masthead is essential in identifying the name of the magazine as well as allowing others to recognise the magazine better.
Some really great inspiration for editorial design. Notice how they balance warm and cool factors within the design. Black & white, has been even out with splashes of red and orange.
Some of my ideas being penned down. After much research, sketches and looking at inspirational materials, I took it to Photoshop and started picking colours I deemed as suitable for the concept. Afterwhich, I created 3 mockups of the Smash Arts cover.
My colour palettes & mockups.
Bringing these materials to class, and after much critic session, I decided to pick the first design and improvise on it further. The critic given was:
With that, I worked on my design and improvise it. What I did:
Here’s the finalised cover! (colours are affected due to CMYK colour mode)
The next week, I had to create the table of contents and a 2-page spread article. It was a really good thing that I had to redesign my initial cover as it had made it easier for me to work around with the added elements to form as part of the concept. (having circles and the stipulated colours)
So here are my table of contents (which I like, very much!) and my article.
If you notice, I wrote the description myself, too. Hahaha, I really enjoy writing thus explains why I refuse to use dummy text. I like imagining that I am really developing a real magazine. Gets me all excited! :D
Sorry for the absolute horrid colour turnout here! But anyway, I very much have enjoyed the few lessons of Editorial Design. I love it!
Earlier today, Tripartite met up to do our production planning. The three key areas; sets, props & locations. We first indentified the actions within the script and what is needed within the set in order for the action to be carried out. Also, it is important to keep in mind that, we have to make the set look as realistic as possible in order to get people to believe in our story.
We also prepared the list of equipments needed for shoot later on. But for now, we will have to do some location recce to see the suitability of the place and our plot.